Master's Degree Programme 2024


The Project for Human Resource Development Scholarship by Japanese Grant Aid (JDS) was launched in Nepal in 2015. Up to the present, total of 165 Fellows have been dispatched to Japan.

JDS is now calling applications for the academic year 2024-2025. The maximum number of master’s scholars is 20 per year.

Promotion Seminars/Webinars Schedules

Promotion seminars and webinars provide prospective applicants with more detailed information on the JDS Program and how to prepare application documents, while online university sessions are conducted for applicants to meet professors from accepting universities to know about graduate school courses, how to writing your research plan, etc. Seminars will be held in-person and online through the on-demand video presentations and zoom meetings/webinars below.

1.On-demand Video Presentations

  1. Overview of the JDS Program
  2. How to prepare your application documents
  3. How to receive approval for your study leave
  4. How to prepare a research plan


Please register to attend the seminars/ webinars from the given links.

Date Time Venue Session Registration
7-Sep Thu 3PM to 4PM (Master)
4PM to 5PM (Doctoral)
Online General Q&A with JDS Staffs Register
8-Sep Fri 11AM to Noon (Master)
Noon to 1PM (Doctoral)
Online Special Webinar for Ministry of Foreign Affairs Register
11-Sep Mon 11AM to 1PM JanakpurMadhesh
In-person Seminar with JDS Staff Register
13-Sep Wed 11AM to 1PM DangLumbini
In-person Seminar with JDS Staff Register
15-Sep Fri 11AM to 1PM PokharaGandaki
In-person Seminar with JDS Staff Register
19-Sep Tue 3PM to 4PM (Master)
4PM to 5PM (Doctoral)
Online General Q&A with JDS Staffs Register
22-Sep Fri 3PM to 4PM (Master)
4PM to 5PM (Doctoral)
Online Meet ‘ The Future You'(only for FEMALE Applicants)
Meet current/former female JDS fellows to get inspiration for your future success with the JDS Scholarship.
23-Sep Sat 3PM to 4PM (Master)
4PM to 5PM (Doctoral)
Online Family Session (Meet current JDS fellows with their families in Japan to get to know their academic and family life. Register
25-Sep Mon 3PM to 4PM (Master)
4PM to 5PM (Doctoral)
Online Interact with Expert regarding Research Plan Register
26-Sep Tue 10:45AM to 11:45AM Online Waseda University Register
27-Sep Wed 10:45AM to 11:45AM Online Meiji University Register
29-Sep Fri 10:45AM to 11:45AM Online Hiroshima University
(International Economic Development Program)
29-Sep Fri 12:45PM to 1:45PM Online Yamaguchi University Register
2-Oct Mon 10:45AM to 11:45AM Online International University of Japan(IUJ) Register
2-Oct Mon 12:45PM to 1:45PM Online Rikkyo University Register
3-Oct Tue 10:45AM to 11:45AM Online Kyushu University Register
4-Oct Wed 10:45AM to 11:45AM Online Hiroshima University
International Peace and Co-existence Program)

Eligibility for Master’s Programme

Applicants should be/have:

  1. Nepali nationals
  2. between the ages of 25 and 40 (both inclusive) as of April 1st, 2024.(Should be born between April 2nd, 1983 and April 1st, 1999)
  3. a Bachelor’s Degree. (Those who will apply to Kyushu University and Keio University must have a bachelor’s degree in law)
  4. at least 3 years of work experience in Civil Service at the time of application.
  5. gazetted civil servants governed by Civil Service Act of Nepal, currently employed by the following organizations.
    • all ministries
    • all agencies under ministries
    • all constitutional bodies
    • all other institutions and authorities
    • all courts
      or civil servants (Level 7 and above) originally recruited by the federal government and deputed/adjusted to 7 provincial and 753 local governments.
  6. a strong will to work for the development of Nepal after their return home.
  7. in good health.
  8. English language proficiency sufficiently fluent for studying in Japan.

Applicants should not be/have:

  1. serving in the military.
  2. previously acquired a master’s degree after studying abroad on a scholarship awarded by the Government of Nepal or any other development partners.
  3. currently receiving, or planning to receive, another scholarship to acquire a master or doctoral degree through the assistance by the Government of Nepal or any other development partners.


Fields of Study and Corresponding Graduate Schools

(Target Priority Areas)
(Development Issues)
Presumed Research Fields and Preferred Major Subjects* Corresponding Graduate Schools, Degrees to be obtained & URLs
Social and economic development which directly leads to economic growth and the national livelihoods improvement
Financial Policy,Economic Policy
  • National Development Policy
  • Macroeconomic Policy
  • Fiscal Policy
  • Monetary Policy
  • Tax Policy
  • Econometrics
  • Investment Environment Development
  • Industrial Promotion Policy
  • Foreign Investment Promotion Policy
  • Business Environment Development
  • International Development Cooperation
  • Foreign Aid and Debt Management, etc.
Waseda University
Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies (GSAPS)

International Studies

Degree: Master of Arts in International Relations
Number of Acceptance per Batch: 2
Brochure Video
Rikkyo University
Graduate School of Business

Master of International Business Program

Degree: Master of Public Management and Administration (MPMA)
Number of Acceptance per Batch: 2
Brochure Video
Hiroshima University
Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences

International Economic Development Program

Master of Economics,
Master of Business Administration, Master of International Cooperation Studies,
Master of Philosophy
Number of Acceptance per Batch: 2
Brochure Video

Some JDS fellows applying to International Economic Development Program, Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Hiroshima University may be assigned to Graduate School of Innovation and Practice for Smart Society, depending on the research Topic.
Graduate School of Innovation and Practice for Smart Society
Degree: Master of Philosophy
Governance Enhancement and Basic Framework Development for Democracy
Development of Human Resource and Administrative Capacity of Civil Servants
  • Decentralization
  • Local Administration
  • Administrative Control
  • Personnel Management Policy
  • Administrative and Fiscal Control
  • Local Autonomy
  • Labour Policy
  • Public Policy, etc.
Meiji University
Graduate School of Governance Studies

Public Policy Programme

Degree: Master of Public Policy
Number of Acceptance per Batch: 2
Brochure Video
Yamaguchi University
Graduate School of Economics

Public Administration Course

Degree: Master of Economics
(with Certificate of Completion of Public Administration Course)
Number of Acceptance per Batch: 2
Brochure Video
International University of Japan (IUJ)
Graduate School of International Relations

Public Management and Policy Analysis Program (PMPP)

Degree: Master of Arts in Public Management
*You can earn one of two degrees of your choice.
Number of Acceptance per Batch: 2
Brochure Video
Building of International Relations
  • International Politics
  • International Economy
  • Foreign Policy
  • South Asian Regional Integration
  • Diplomatic Relations between Nepal and Other Countries
  • Nepal’s Development as a Landlocked Country
  • Relations with Developing Countries
  • International Diplomacy on Labor Issues
  • Labor Politics
  • Migration Issues, etc.
Ritsumeikan University
Graduate School of International Relations,

Global International Relations Program (English-Based Program)

Degrees: Master of Arts in International Relations
Number of Acceptance per Batch: 2
Brochure Video
Hiroshima University
Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences

International Peace and Co-existence Program

Degrees: Master of International Cooperation Studies, Master of Philosophy
Number of Acceptance per Batch: 2
Brochure Video
Improvement of Legal and Judicial System
  • Civil Law
  • Criminal Law
  • Corporate and Commercial Law (including bankruptcy law)
  • Laws for Trade and Investment Promotion
  • IT Laws
  • Intellectual Property Laws
  • International Treaty Laws, etc.
Kyushu University
Graduate School of Law

LL.M. Program

Degree: LL.M Degree
Number of Acceptance per Batch: 2
Brochure Video
Keio University
Law School

LL.M. in Global Legal Practice

Degree: LL.M Degree
Number of Acceptance per Batch: 2
Brochure Video

*It does not mean applicants must choose from the listed study fields.

Application Documents

Please refer to the Application Guidelines and submit a full set of application documents by the deadline.

A. Application Guidelines

  1. Application Guidelines of the Master’s Degree Program (Download)

B. Application Forms

  1. Confidential Statement of Reference (Prescribed Form 1) (Download)
  2. Official Approval Letter (Prescribed Form 2) (Download)
  3. Research Plan Format (Prescribed Form 3A) (Download)
  4. Research Plan Format (Prescribed Form 3B) (Download)
  5. Research Plan Format (Prescribed Form 3C) (Download)
  6. Research Plan Format (Prescribed Form 3D) (Download)
Applying University Specified Format
Hiroshima (International Economic Development Program and International Peace and Co-existence Program), Waseda, Meiji, Ritsumeikan, Keio Prescribed Form 3A
Yamaguchi Prescribed Form 3B
Kyushu Prescribed Form 3C or without Format*
Rikkyo Prescribed Form 3D
IUJ (GSIR) Without Format*

*If you prepare your research plan without format, word limit of 700 words (except references/bibliography and footnotes).

Submission of the Application Documents

Application period is from Thursday 5th October at 12:00 noon to Thursday 19th October 2023 at 17:00.

Application documents will not be returned for any reason. Late submission and/or incomplete application documents will NOT be accepted.

Research Plan

Before you begin writing your research plan, you are recommended to carefully review the ‘Graduate School Information‘ section to make sure that the graduate school of your choice offers an appropriate curriculum and has faculty members relevant to your research plan. You can obtain more information from websites of individual graduate schools.

NOTE: Your research plan should be consistent with one of the aforementioned ‘Components’ (development issues), be an offered program by the graduate school of your application and correspond to the overall objectives of the organization to which you belong.

For more information, please refer to the Application Guidelines.

Please read on ‘Guidance for Writing Research Plan’.

Mathematics Examination

The math exam is approximately 60 minutes duration and consists of: arithmetic operations, solving fractions, equations, inequalities, matrixes, basic quadratic functions, basic operations of exponential and logarithmic functions, basic integral and differentiation, etc.

Exam scores will be used for reference purposes during initial selection by the accepting universities.

You can download the past exam papers from the links below:

JDS Past Math Papers
※Applicants for Ritsumeikan University, Kyushu University and Keio University are not required to take the math exam.



Q. Who is eligible to apply to JDS Programme?
A. Please refer to Eligibility.
Q. Do I need to take English and Math examinations?
A. English exam is required for all applicants. If you can submit a copy of the IELTS or TOEFL certificate issued within two years as of May 31, 2024, you do not need to take it again. Math exam is not required for the applicants for Ritsumeikan University, Kyushu University, and Keio University. The problems in the math exam are similar to those that are given in junior high and high schools. For further information, please refer to Mathematics Examination.
Q. How about GPA score?
A. We do not have any borderline for GPA score.
Q. I am Master’s Degree holder. Can I apply?
A. Yes, you can apply, unless you obtained your master’s degree funded by the Government of Nepal or any other development partners.
Q. I have received a scholarship from another country. Can I still apply for the JDS?
A. No. If you have ever received (or planning to receive) another scholarship from the Government of Nepal or any other development partners to study abroad, you are NOT eligible to apply. Likewise, if you have already had your master’s degree, sponsored by the Government of Nepal or any other development partners, you are also NOT eligible to apply.
Q. I don’t speak Japanese. Can I apply to JDS?
A. Yes, you can. All courses are taught in English in the graduate schools selected for the JDS Programme.
Q. Can I apply both for the Master’s Programme as well as the Doctoral Programme?
A. No. You have to choose one out of two programmes


Q. How can I find the target organizations?
A. Please refer to the Application Guidelines and go to Name of Target Organization. If you cannot find your organization in the list, please contact the line ministry of your organization.
Q. I am working at the department/provincial/local office. From whom should I obtain the reference letter and the approval letter?
A. Reference letter should be obtained from your senior supervisor of your work place. If you are the head of that office, you should request authorized senior official from your line ministry.
Official Approval Letter must be signed by an official who can authorize your study leave (Joint Secretary or above) of Human Resource Division or designated division for JDS Scholarship from target organization (listed on Page 8-9) which you work for or is your line ministry. Provincial Officials and Local Level Officials should contact the respective Office of the Chief Minister and Council of Ministers.
Q. I got transferred to a new organization in mid of March 2021. Can I write my Work Experience as below?

Department/Division From/To (Month/Year)
(Previous workplace) 05/2017 – 03/2021
(Current workplace) 03/2021 –
A. No. Please do not overlap the month. You may write when your current work started from 04/2021 as below.

Department/Division From/To (Month/Year)
(Previous workplace) 05/2017 – 03/2021
(Current workplace) 04/2021 –
Q. Are the degree certificate and the transcript needed to be attested by the university, or notarized by notary public?
A. You can submit a copy of the certificate or transcript after notarized by a notary public.
Q. I only have diploma.Am I eligible to apply?
A. No. You must possess at least a university degree to apply.
Q. I have a master’s degree. Can I submit the master’s degree certificate attached to the application documents for the Master’s Program?
A. Yes, if you want.
Q. I have obtained two bachelor’s degrees and two master’s degrees in the past. I am considering to apply for a master’s course. Which degree should I submit?
A. Please submit all of them.
Q. How do I prepare research plan?
A. Please carefully read the instructions written in the Application Guidelines as well as `Guidance for Writing a Research Plan`. Please watch video guidance `How to prepare research plan` in the On-demand video program. JDS Office staff members may also guide you how to prepare your research plan, upon your request.
Q. A book or article that I am referring for writing my research proposal has already been cited in another book/article. Which one should I mention for reference?
A. You need to refer to the original source.
Q. Do I need to submit a nomination letter to the JDS Project Office at the time of application?
A. We don’t need the nomination letter or pre-approval letter. An Official Approval Letter (Prescribed Form 2 of the Application Form) signed by the Joint Secretary or authorized person must be submitted at the time of application.
Q. Is the JDS Scholarship private or government nomination?
A. You need to obtain the official Approved Letter (Prescribed Form 2 of Application Forms) from your target organization in order to apply for the JDS Program. Contact your target organization to see if government nomination is necessary to obtain it or not.
Q. Last year I applied for pre-approval for study leave at my ministry but I didn’t get any reply whether it was approved or not. How can I get to know the result?
A. Ministries do not inform the result to applicants nor JDS Project Office. It is applicants’ responsibility to follow up whether it is approved or not.
Q. Which types of passport (private or official) is required for the IELTS application?
A. Either passport is okay.
Q. How do I know if I passed the process of document screening or not? Can I call the JDS Project Office and ask?
A. All applicants who passed or did not pass the screening will be informed by JDS Office. Any inquiries for the result of the selection by applicants are NOT accepted.
Q. Can I have my application documents back if I did not pass the selection?
A. No. All application documents will not be returned.
Q. If I were selected for the JDS Scholarship Program, what allowance can I receive?
A. As to the allowance you will receive in Japan, please refer to Benefits.
Q. Is it okay to bring my dependents and stay with them in Japan?
A. Yes, you can stay with your dependents (spouse/children) in Japan, but only after 3 months from your arrival in Japan unless your university prohibits you from doing so. All the procedures required you to do for your dependents’ stay in Japan shall be carried out by yourselves. The JDS Program will not cover the costs necessary for your families: e.g. travel insurance, air tickets, living costs, and VISA. Your family should be taken care of under your responsibility.
Q. What type of accommodation will I have in Japan?
A. Students move in to university dormitories or public/private apartments. The family rooms of the university dormitories are highly competitive to enter, also the term of staying is usually 6 months or one year only.
The rent of the public/private apartments varies from region to region. The rent in Tokyo is usually more than ¥45,000 for a single room, and more than ¥55,000 for a family room.
Q. Can I work in Japan?
A. No, you are not allowed to have any job or work. However, the teaching or research assistantship which is provided by your accepting University is exceptional.
Q. Can I drive automobiles in Japan?
A. No. You are not permitted to drive cars or motorcycles unless there is any special reason which was permitted by the JDS Operation Committee.
Q. Can I stay in Japan after the completion of the JDS Scholarship program in order to continue my education or be employed in Japan?
A. No, you may not. You must return to Nepal after obtaining a master’s degree by the JDS Scholarship Program.
Q. Can I come back to Nepal or travel overseas for a short-term while I am staying in Japan?
A. Yes, you may come back to Nepal with your own expense and responsibility that doesn’t impact your academic work. If you travel overseas for any other reason than thesis research purposes, your scholarship will be suspended from the day of departure from Japan until the day of return in case of private travel. The scholarship will be paid up to 60 days in the case of the thesis research.
Q. Please tell me about the university support system.
A. It depends on the university which you are enrolled in. Normally, teaching assistant/s and tutor/s will support your studies and academic life.

3.Family Related Issues

Q. Can my wife/husband work in Japan?
A. Yes, your spouse may have job or work during their stay, up to 28 hours per week.
Q. Can my wife/husband drive automobiles in Japan?
A. Yes, she/he can. Your spouse needs to obtain an international driver’s license. The validity of the international driver’s license is one year, and she/he needs to be careful about the expiration date of the license.
Q. Will the JDS Program or universities offer Japanese language course to my family members?
A. No, but we will introduce you an international exchange center in each university area which offers Japanese classes at a reasonable price.
Q. About how much will it cost for a nursery school?
A. It depends on local government, and childcare cost will be calculated according to your income. As an example, the childcare cost of one child for scholarship recipient is ¥10,000 in Hiroshima.

JDS Project Office in Nepal

Address Regus, Ground Floor, Trade Tower, Thapathali, Kathmandu (Opposite NIC Asia Bank)
Tel 98400 87860 / 98400 77544
Office Hours Mon to Fri 9:00-13:00 / 14:00-17:00