Q. Who is eligible to apply to JDS Programme?
A. Please refer to Eligibility.
Q. How about GPA score?
A. We do not have any borderline for GPA score.
Q. I don’t speak Japanese. Can I apply to JDS?
A. Yes, you can. All courses are taught in English in the graduate schools selected for the JDS Programme.
Q. Can I apply both for the Master’s Programme as well as the Doctoral Programme?
A. No. You have to choose one out of two programmes


Q. How can I find the target organizations?
A. Please refer to the Application Guidelines and go to Name of Target Organization. If you cannot find your organization in the list, please contact the line ministry of your organization.
Q. I am working at the department/provincial/local office. From whom should I obtain the reference letter and the approval letter?
A. Reference letter should be obtained from your senior supervisor of your work place. If you are the head of that office, you should request authorized senior official from your line ministry.
Official Approval Letter must be signed by an official who can authorize your study leave (Joint Secretary or above) of Human Resource Division or designated division for JDS Scholarship from target organization which you work for or is your line ministry. Provincial Officials and Local Level Officials should contact the respective Office of the Chief Minister and Council of Ministers.
Q. I got transferred to a new organization in mid of March 2021. Can I write my Work Experience as below?

Department/Division From/To (Month/Year)
(Previous workplace) 05/2017 – 03/2021
(Current workplace) 03/2021 –
A. No. Please do not overlap the month. You may write when your current work started from 04/2021 as below.

Department/Division From/To (Month/Year)
(Previous workplace) 05/2017 – 03/2021
(Current workplace) 04/2021 –
Q. Are the degree certificate and the transcript needed to be attested by the university, or notarized by notary public?
A. You can submit a copy of the certificate or transcript after notarized by a notary public.
Q. I only have diploma.Am I eligible to apply?
A. No. You must possess at least a university degree to apply.
Q. I have obtained two bachelor’s degrees and two master’s degrees in the past. I am considering to apply for a doctoral course. Which degree should I submit?
A. Please submit all of them.
Q. How do I prepare research plan?
A. Please carefully read the instructions written in the Application Guidelines. Please watch video guidance `How to prepare research plan` in the On-demand video program. JDS Office staff members may also guide you how to prepare your research plan, upon your request.
Q. A book or article that I am referring for writing my research proposal has already been cited in another book/article. Which one should I mention for reference?
A. You need to refer to the original source.
Q. Do I need to submit a nomination letter to the JDS Project Office at the time of application?
A. We don’t need the nomination letter or pre-approval letter. An Official Approval Letter (Prescribed Form 2 of the Application Form) signed by the Joint Secretary or authorized person must be submitted at the time of application.
Q. Is the JDS Scholarship private or government nomination?
A. You need to obtain the official Approved Letter (Prescribed Form 2 of Application Forms) from your target organization in order to apply for the JDS Program. Contact your target organization to see if government nomination is necessary to obtain it or not.
Q. Last year I applied for pre-approval for study leave at my ministry but I didn’t get any reply whether it was approved or not. How can I get to know the result?
A. Ministries do not inform the result to applicants nor JDS Project Office. It is applicants’ responsibility to follow up whether it is approved or not.
Q. Which types of passport (private or official) is required for the IELTS application?
A. Either passport is okay.
Q. How do I know if I passed the process of document screening or not? Can I call the JDS Project Office and ask?
A. All applicants who passed or did not pass the screening will be informed by JDS Office. Any inquiries for the result of the selection by applicants are NOT accepted.
Q. Can I have my application documents back if I did not pass the selection?
A. No. All application documents will not be returned.
Q. If I were selected for the JDS Scholarship Program, what allowance can I receive?
A. As to the allowance you will receive in Japan, please refer to Benefits.
Q. Is it okay to bring my dependents and stay with them in Japan?
A. Yes, you can stay with your dependents (spouse/children) in Japan, but only after 3 months from your arrival in Japan unless your university prohibits you from doing so. All the procedures required you to do for your dependents’ stay in Japan shall be carried out by yourselves. The JDS Program will not cover the costs necessary for your families: e.g. travel insurance, air tickets, living costs, and VISA. Your family should be taken care of under your responsibility.
Q. What type of accommodation will I have in Japan?
A. Students move in to university dormitories or public/private apartments. The family rooms of the university dormitories are highly competitive to enter, also the term of staying is usually 6 months or one year only.
The rent of the public/private apartments varies from region to region. The rent in Tokyo is usually more than ¥45,000 for a single room, and more than ¥55,000 for a family room.
Q. Can I work in Japan?
A. No, you are not allowed to have any job or work. However, the teaching or research assistantship which is provided by your accepting University is exceptional.
Q. Can I drive automobiles in Japan?
A. No. You are not permitted to drive cars or motorcycles unless there is any special reason which was permitted by the JDS Operation Committee.
Q. Can I stay in Japan after the completion of the JDS Scholarship program in order to continue my education or be employed in Japan?
A. No, you may not. You must return to Nepal after obtaining a doctoral degree by the JDS Scholarship Program.
Q. Can I come back to Nepal or travel overseas for a short-term while I am staying in Japan?
A. Yes, you may come back to Nepal with your own expense and responsibility that doesn’t impact your academic work. If you travel overseas for any other reason than thesis research purposes, your scholarship will be suspended from the day of departure from Japan until the day of return in case of private travel. The scholarship will be paid up to 60 days in the case of the thesis research.
Q. Please tell me about the university support system.
A. It depends on the university which you are enrolled in. Normally, teaching assistant/s and tutor/s will support your studies and academic life.

3.Family Related Issues

Q. Can my wife/husband work in Japan?
A. Yes, your spouse may have job or work during their stay, up to 28 hours per week.
Q. Can my wife/husband drive automobiles in Japan?
A. Yes, she/he can. Your spouse needs to obtain an international driver’s license. The validity of the international driver’s license is one year, and she/he needs to be careful about the expiration date of the license.
Q. Will the JDS Program or universities offer Japanese language course to my family members?
A. No, but we will introduce you an international exchange center in each university area which offers Japanese classes at a reasonable price.
Q. About how much will it cost for a nursery school?
A. It depends on local government, and childcare cost will be calculated according to your income. As an example, the childcare cost of one child for scholarship recipient is ¥10,000 in Hiroshima.

JDS Project Office in Nepal

Address Regus, Ground Floor, Trade Tower, Thapathali, Kathmandu (Opposite NIC Asia Bank)
Tel 98400 87860 / 98400 77544
Email jdsnepal-2@jds21.com
Office Hours Mon to Fri 9:00-13:00 / 14:00-17:00
Website https://scholarship.jds21.com/nepal/