Eligibility for Doctoral Programme
Applicants should be/have:
- Nepali nationals
- between the ages of 30 and 45 (both inclusive) as of April 1st, 2024.(Should be born between April 2nd, 1978 and April 1st, 1994)
- hold a master’s degree (including universities in Nepal).
- at least 5 years of work experience in Civil Service at the time of application.
- gazetted civil servants governed by Civil Service Act of Nepal, (Under Secretary and above) currently employed in the following organizations.
- all ministries
- all agencies under ministries
- all constitutional bodies
- all other institutions and authorities
- all courts
or civil servants (Level 9 and above) originally recruited by the federal government and deputed/adjusted to 7 provincial and 753 local governments.
- returned and served for the country for certain years (involving actual work and/or research preparation) set by Civil Service Act after completion of master’s course.
- in good health.
- sufficient English language ability to pursue a doctoral degree.
- should have published one or more peer-reviewed paper/s, in principle.
Applicants should not be/have:
- serving in the military.
- previously acquired a doctoral degree after studying abroad on a scholarship awarded by the Government of Nepal or any other development partners.
- currently receiving, or planning to receive, another scholarship to acquire a master’s or doctoral degree through assistance from the Government of Nepal or any other development partners.
- Applicants should have a clear understanding of the objectives of the JDS Program and desire to contribute to the development of Nepal upon return to Nepal after completing the study.
- The applicants’ research theme should be relevant to the Development Issues of Nepal referred to in the framework of Sub-Programmes and Components of the JDS.
- Applicants should receive a recommendation from the supervisor of his/her current workplace (The reference Letter should contain the evaluation of the applicant’s performance at work and the relevance of his/her research theme to his/her career).
- Applicants should have an acceptance from the expected academic adviser(s) of the applying university before applying to the JDS Program.
- Applicants must be expected to complete the course within, and not exceeding three (3) years.